Today I learned about the European Freedom Network (EFN) of the European Evangelical Alliance. This years’ general Assembly is being held in Monbachtal, Germany, all this week so new initiatives get opportunity to be announced. EFN is trying to connect active and emerging ministries and other stakeholders across Europe. EFN serves those partners by providing the encouragement, advice, resources and prayer that they need for effective action and cooperation.
- Did you know that between 12 and 27 million people are currently enslaved in forced labor and sexual exploitation around the globe?
- Did you know that human trafficking is the second largest organized crime in the world today?
- Did you know that 90% of victims trafficked into EU member states end up in sexual exploitation?
- Did you know that Eastern Europe has been called a ‘frontier of failure in the battle against human trafficking?’
So, what can we do? There is an initiative that October 18 becomes a European Anti-Trafficking Day.
- Please pray! – check www.europeanfreedomnetwork.org for Prayer Guide and Resources section of the site. There is a Facebook page, there is a monthly e-mail to subscribe.
- Get this issue of human trafficking on the agenda in your country, on the program of conferences, on the curriculum of the Bible schools and seminaries.
- Choose a collective action or advocacy target. There is a new EU directive on Human Trafficking, publicize it.
- Communicate! Let others know about this initiative.
- Help churches to become informed and engaged.
One of the responsibilities of Christians in this world is to be informed, interested, to have a capacity to care and to act upon its convictions. The human trafficking is gaining momentum in Europe. Read Luke 4:18.